Monday, November 14, 2011

Cravings

I had such a refreshing weekend at Women of Faith Conference in Oklahoma City. I learned a lot, and I would like to share a few..

First, was worship. WOW! A stadium full of women all standing and singing "Great is Thy Faithfulness". Women of all ages, ones that could sing with experience and ones that only had seen the beginning of the faithfulness of God. It was so neat. Not to mention a tiny glimpse of what heaven might be like!

And then a message that spoke to me:


God has placed eternity in our hearts.

Ecclesiates 3:11 ...He has also set eternity in the hearts of men.


I too often run into the problem of craving more. "Well I'd just be happier if I had newer clothes, or if we put down new flooring in the house, or if Ryan took me on fancier dates, or if he did this or that, or if I was just a wee bit skinnier". Not every day do I battle this, but I do have those days when I'm just in a crummy mood soley because of cravings. Too often we think it's those world things that cause us to long for more, but really it's something that wordly things can never satisfy. God has placed eternity in our hearts, and our heart will never be completely satisfied until it finds rest in Him, in heaven. This isn't our home and this world will never be enough.... but He will.


So ultimately I learned that as a human I will always be craving until I get to heaven, because that's what my heart is longing for! But I also know that instead of focusing on these worldly cravings, when they happen if I can seek the Lord and begin craving His word and peace in my life, I will be much closer to finding true fulfillment and satisfaction. It's not really the clothes or the flooring or the extra attention from my husband or being stick thin, it's the peace and joy and love and comfort I find when I seek what my heart is really longing for-
my Heavenly Father.


I feel like if more people would act on this, and when they found themselves longing for more they would turn to the Lord, for that unfailing love they are truly craving. I believe there would be fewer broken relationships, divorce, etc.


That was a good lesson I learned that I want to begin applying to my life. And let me tell you, this morning on my way to clinicals I was nervous and dreading it and scared of being inadequate. And I spent the drive in praying and spending time with the Lord, reflecting on His promises to me. And I was more confident today- not necessarily better, just more secure that I am enough and that He isn't going to leave me high and dry.

(being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. -Philippians 1:6)


I wish I had time to share everything the ladies talked about this weekend, but I'll save them for posts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment