Saturday, June 30, 2012

Contentment

Whew! Finally sitting down and kicking my feet up. I had quite a productive morning.

I'm spoiled to spending most Saturdays with my hubby, and after a long week of him working late I was bummed when he said he had to work ALL day today. Hmmph. I didn't think I could sit around the house all day, so I decided to make a run to town. Bad idea. WalMart was like a madhouse. I almost got in a fist fight with an old lady, ran over a child with my cart, and almost had a nervous breakdown on the bread isle. KIDDING, but it was BAD.

I knew there was a reason I hated grocery shopping.

A few hours later, and I just finished chopping up a huge bowl of peaches, kiwi, strawberries, and blueberries, baking a sugar cookie crust, and whipping up some cream cheese spread to make a FRUIT PIZZA! One of my favorite desserts, especially in the summertime!

Ya know, spending a day at home alone isn't so bad. I have a clean house with my Scentsy burning, yummy goodness being created in the kitchen, a candle burning, and Elevation Worship playing on Pandora. It's actually really relaxing and peaceful. I feel so CONTENT.

I have been doing a bible study called "Living the Surrendered Life" alongside many other girls across the country. I stumbled upon http://www.shereadstruth.com and fell in love with the idea. (Check it out, ladies). The study has blessed my heart so much already- it's devotions aren't super long, but they are filled with tons of truth and things that open my eyes daily. So far, there have been many things it talks about that have led me to surrender things in my life to God. My worries, fears, plans, feelings of self worth, etc. It has been great!

One lesson was on contentment. That's something that I needed to read.

Sometimes I find it SO hard to be content. Not that I have any reason NOT to be... it's just another battle with my flesh. It seems like I'm always wishing I had cuter CLOTHES, more MONEY, prettier house DECORATIONS, a plethora of FRIENDS to go out with, more fancy DATES with my husband, SOMEHWERE TO GO ON A LONELY SATURDAY.

But God spoke to me saying "you have a full closet of clothes, you always have food on the table, you have been married a little over 2 years and own a nice house that may not be super fancy but is super homey and cute, you have a small group of friends but they are true friends who make you a better person, you may not go on big dates every weekend but you have a husband who loves you and you need to cherish those little things like walks, cuddling on the couch, laughing until you cry... you are blessed, open your eyes"

So I have tried to open my eyes and be THANKFUL and be CONTENT. The world makes material things and status look so alluring- they make us feel like we have to have these things to be truly happy. But as Christians we know better- we just have to refocus our hearts every so often.

In Philippians chapter 4, Paul says, "...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Paul had went through times when he was poor and in want, and through times when he had more than enough... but he learned that in both of those situations that worldly possessions, whether overflowing with them or not having any, did NOT bring contentment. Only Jesus Christ could fulfill his inner longing and satisfy him to the fullest.

I needed to stay home today, turn the TV off, spend a little time in the kitchen cutting up some fruit and singing worship songs.... My house may not be the fanciest, but it is HOME and I LOVE IT. I am thankful for it. I am thankful for the baby in my belly who kicks away as I sing, for the 99 cent mugs I found today at a discount store that I'm going to make a craft with, for my cute puppies who are sleeping in the air conditioned house.

God is teaching me to find true contentment in Him! To have a thankful heart and open my eyes to all the blessings He has poured on me!

We can find joy in ANYTHING if our heart is in the right place.... or we can choose to always be wanting more, more, more and waste away our days with a cranky spirit. I don't know about you, but I'd rather find JOY in things like a fruit pizza! (plus it's gonna taste sooooo good) :)

Happy Weekend!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! This is something I struggle with daily...it's hard not to! But it is so true that if you are always looking for MORE in material things then you have a hard time finding/feeling/experiencing true contentment in Him!

    I sooo needed to read this! Thanks for posting Kaysi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really needed this today. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Now I need to live this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I want this in my life so bad. I pray that he can gently work with me on those things rather than kicking my butt up between my shoulder blades in order to make it happen. I am very thankful always.....but it does seem that I'm never fully content ): I don't like that about me.

    ReplyDelete