Saturday, May 4, 2013

these simple moments

These are the days I'll look back on and miss, aren't they?
 
The ones that seem so simple now.
 
Waking up to Gage's little hand on my face.
"mamamamamama".
Searching for Jack under the covers, trying to grab his tail.
Pulling up on mama & daddy in bed and standing for the first time all on his own.
 
Breakfast. Gage and the highchair covered in babyfood.
"num num".
Clumisly feeding himself finger foods.
Spilling his sippy everywhere, trying to drink out of it upside down.
 
Fighting naptime.
Rock for 30 minutes. Baby is asleep.
Lay him in his crib. Baby is awake.
Repeat.
Give up.
 
Try again in an hour.
Give up.
Drive around town, get a Sonic drink, and sing to the radio just so baby will sleep in his carseat.
 
Lunch in town.
Mashed taters and green beans for Gage.
Squealing and screaming in the high chair.
Hearing Gage ooo & ahhh in delight when he sees his mama from across the restaurant=
Heart melted.
 
Mama, Daddy, & Baby afternoon cuddles in bed.
Giggles.
Tickles.
Gage sleeps and we get those few cherished moments alone.
Time for us.
To be young and in love and... baby is awake.
 
Playtime!
 
Bathtime splashes.
Drying off in front of the fireplace.
The smell of baby lotion.
Slobbery kisses and rubbing his eyes from exhaustion.
 
Bedtime stories, all three of us (and a weenie dog) piled in bed.
Daddy carrying Gage over to Mama in the rocking chair.
Gage makes his little noise of excitement as he knows it's time to nurse.
 
He looks up at me, I sing to him as he nurses.
We rock in the light of the nightlight.
I rub his sweet fuzzy head, and his chubby little cheek.
"Mama loves you, go to sleep little baby".
 
And now, I sit here with the lights off, candle lit, feet kicked up.
 
Just a normal day, nothing exciting, really....
But then I recall these moment.
Precious moments.
And realize they are what I'll look back on.
 
These simple, everyday moments.
One day I'll long for them again.
 
And so, instead of staying up for "me time" tonight,
I think I'll go to bed a little early.
And hold that little hand, kiss that precious face.
 
And memorize the way his sweet milk breath smells.
The size of those tiny little hands.
The softness of his baby skin.
And I'll thank the Lord with everything in me for Gage.
For his daddy.
For our home.
For this life of ours that I wouldn't trade.
For anything.
 
Because I know that one day, I'll miss this.
 
 






2 comments:

  1. this post makes me :)

    Love you girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not have a child {yet} but I am trying to soak in all the "little" moments of life, too. :) Oh and hey, girl! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! You can read about it here: http://bethbranstetter.blogspot.com/2013/05/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete