Thursday, February 16, 2012

Be Still and Know

I got a new devotional today called "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. I had heard lots of good things about it, so thought I would give it a try! It's a 365 day devo, and I read the first passage today. At first I didn't get it, but then it seemed to speak right to me... I want to share. (I'm summarizing the parts I really liked).

Thank Me for the conditions that are requiring you to BE STILL. Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again.... Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My Presence with you. Do not despise these simple ways of serving Me. Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms. My strength and power show themselves most effective in weakness.

This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Isreal, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would not have none of it." -Isaiah 30:15

It relates so much to me. Since being in school I've felt like I haven't been as active and outgoing as I'm used to. Today I even told Jess, "we HAVE to hang out tomorrow, I feel like such a loser lately." The past 3 days I have studied nonstop, all day. ((I had to get my grade up, and holy moly sure enough I made a 100% on our test today! Talk about shock/relief/excitement!!!)) Anyway, I feel like I'm being so complacent, I miss going out and doing things, I miss getting to go to church on Wednesday nights and serving, I miss getting to put time into other, more fun things! I have felt semi-loserish lately... and feeling like God couldn't really use me. I mean, mostly all I do is go to school and then in the mean time, cook, clean, study, and repeat. I do have friends LOL but the point I'm making is it's just HARDER to find time and used to I was beat-bopping around everywhere.

I felt like God was telling me that I need to take advantage of this season of my life, to grow closer to Him now that I have LOTS of chances to BE STILL. In the verse I love when it says, "in quietness and trust is your strength"... But have I chose to allow God to speak to me in this season of quietness or have I wished them away?

I admit, I have had many days where I could have started the day out with God in prayer and reading His word, but rather chose to study or clean or just mope around the house. So to read this devotion really hit home today.... I hope it may have touched you as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment