Saturday, February 25, 2012

Praise & Perspective

I wanted to share something quickly this morning....

Today is one of those days where I could let self-pity engulf me. I actually thought about it a few times! I won't go into detail, but just family stuff that leaves you feeling sad. Traditions that you loved and held dear may be gone forever, relationships broken, and the list could go on. But this is life.... it's totally unexpected and curve balls can be thrown at you at any minute. Life can make you want to induldge in a lot of self-pity at times.

My devo this morning helped:

Be on guard against the pit of self-pity. When you are weary or unwell, this trap is the greatest danger you face. Don't even go near the edge of the pit. It is ever so much harder to get out of the pit than to keep a safe distance from it. That's why I tell you to BE ON GUARD.
There are several ways to protect yourself from self-pity. When you are occupied with PRAISING and THANKING Me, it is impossible to feel sorry for yourself. Also, the closer you live to Me, the more distance there is between you and the pit. Live in the LIGHT OF MY PRESENCE BY FIXING YOUR EYES ON ME.

So true! When I focus on the blessing of the Lord it's an automatic attitude adjustment. When I'm praising Him, I don't have time to think about the things that could easily drag me down.

IT'S ALL ABOUT PERSPECTIVE!

A grateful heart protects you from negative thinking! Thankfulness enables you to see the abundance the Lord showers upon you daily.

So, instead of being consumed by the pit of self-pity today, I choose to look at the sun shining, my little baby bump, my wonderful parents, relationships I cherish, the Word that directs my path, my home the Lord has provided, my friends that make me smile......
and I choose to thank Him for it and praise Him for all He has blessed me with.

What is your perspective today? If we'd only be more about praise and thankfulness, the things that we sit around feeling sorry for ourselves about might slowly begin to disappear!

In everything GIVE THANKS; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. - 1 Thessaonians 5:18

1 comment: